As Time Goes By
Love in the third age
Love gets a second chance - 38 years on - in this warm and witty comedy by Bob Larbey. A huge success around the world, especially in America, it stars Oscar-winning actress Dame Judi Dench and Geoffrey Palmer as long-lost sweethearts Jean and Lionel, who lost touch after a whirlwind romance in the early 1950s, met up again 38 years later and remarried.
Series Six confronts some of the problems associated with getting older. A perceived loss of masculinity prompts Lionel to try to tackle Sandy's stalker. Now that he no longer has any writing to do, he is bored if Jean is not around, while she is having trouble adjusting to being semi-retired. Both think Judy and Sandy's new boyfriends are far from desirable. It seems that life lately is full of nothing but problems - but they all pale into insignificance compared to the prospect of her nosy sister-in-law Penny and her husband Stephen becoming next-door neighbors!
Watch on Vegas PBS
As Time Goes By | Series 7 Episodes:1. Jean suspects that Lionel is going deaf. But despite the fact that he clearly can't hear very much, Lionel resists going to a doctor. Meanwhile, he becomes convinced that Jean is having problems with her eyes and sets about solving this dilemma.
2. Jean and Lionel take a parental interest in Harry, Sandy's policeman boyfriend.Yet, the affairs of the younger generation seem to diminish in importance when Jean receives a phone message from an old flame.
3. Jean undertakes some strategic snooping to discover what the new neighbors are like. How is it they show up at the pub with black eyes after fighting with one another?
4. The whole gang, minus Harry who is stuck on duty for protest coverage, head out to the country for the weekend. But road construction is about to throw the travelers for a loop
5. Jean's brother, Steven and his wife are expected for another visit. As they are considered a rather dull couple by the Hardcastles, it is most surprising that they arrive via separate modes of transportation to announce that they are having a tiff
6. Jean gets the whole gang, including Lionel's father, Rocky, and his stepmother to help out with her old-age party at the church hall. Lionel is the last to agree and is anxious about the whole idea, especially after being told to watch out for Mrs. Thrupp
7. The Duncans abruptly vacate the dwelling next door and Judith has the wonderful idea of her and Alistair taking up residence there. Lionel has his reservations, but they are nothing compared to the reservations Judith has when Alistair proposes marriage for an odd reason.